Storing your furniture is a smart move if you are relocating to a new home or you are in the middle of a home renovation project.
However, getting the furniture into storage can be a stressful process. You certainly do not want your cabinet, sofa, or breakable items to get damaged, so you would want to do everything to keep them intact until you decide to get them back. Without proper knowledge and experience, you could end up damaging your items even before you put them into storage units.
Fortunately, the best storage companies in Dubai share the following furniture-specific storage tips below to ensure the safety of your bulky and prized pieces throughout the process.
1. Clean the furniture thoroughly
Cleaning your furniture and drying them thoroughly before putting them in the storage unit is a recommended measure for preventing dirt, debris, and mold from damaging them. After cleaning everything thoroughly, make sure that everything is completely dry before wrapping them.
- For plastic furniture, you can use a soap solution. But for wooden furnishings, you need to use the right wood cleaner to protect the existing finish.
- For metal sections, use a metal cleaner and a polishing cloth. This will remove oxidation as well as prevent the build-up of tarnish.
- Don’t forget to clean the fabric items, cushions, and couches as well. An upholstery or fabric cleaner can be useful.
2. Disassemble pieces whenever possible
You may think that leaving your furniture whole and intact can save you time when moving them from place to place. However, this will waste a considerable amount of space in your unit and increase the risk of damage, especially while in transit.
If you take the different components of your furniture apart, such as the parts of your bookshelves, drawers, chairs, and tables, packing these smaller pieces can be a lot easier to do. Also, this will minimize the likelihood of scratching or breaking.
Place the bolts, screws, and other small items in a properly labeled sealable plastic bag. After that, tape this bag alongside the item to which they belong.
3. Cover and protect the furniture
Once everything is clean, dry and disassembled, protect them with the right materials. Some of the packing supplies you may need to purchase include packing tapes, moving blankets, bubble wrap, furniture straps, and durable storage boxes.
Refrain from using plastic packing materials because these can suffocate materials like fabrics and wood, leading to unpleasant smells and condensation inside the unit.
When it comes to properly wrapping your furniture for storage, you must understand how to protect them from moisture, impact, humidity, pests, grime, and dirt. Sometimes, all it takes is proper cushioning and tight wrap.
Here are some wrapping techniques you must know:
- For wooden furniture, wrap them with old blankets first before applying a packing wrap. Shrinkage and damage could happen if you directly apply packing wrap to wooden furnishings.
- For mirrors and glass tabletops, wrap them with packing paper before covering them in bubble wrap. Don’t tape the paper to the glass because this will leave a residue that may require cleaning later.
- For upholstery, wrap them in breathable plastic wrap. Make sure that it is tight enough to stop moisture from damaging your item.
Generally, you should not place any furniture inside a storage unit uncovered. Everything must be covered completely, including the floor, to keep moisture at bay.
4. Choose the right storage unit
Protecting your furniture from the elements should be a priority when placing them in storage facilities. As such, you have to choose the right storage unit.
Today, the mobile storage system is increasing in popularity. A storage rental company will bring the storage unit to your home where your items will be packed and loaded, and then the unit is taken to an air-conditioned warehouse. Rest assured that your furniture will be free of dust, mold, and pests because the unit is made of high quality plywood.
In fact, you can even keep the unit within your premises. Should you wish to do so, you will be provided with a durable weatherproof cover. Whatever the weather may be, your furniture will remain safe from elements even if you leave the unit outdoors for a long period of time.
5. Store your items strategically
To save space, you might be tempted to jam and cram items inside the unit without a plan in place. But dumping everything inside could lead to damage regardless of how well they are packed.
Here are things to keep in mind when packing your furniture in your storage unit:
- Give the items space to breathe by not stacking the items close together. Otherwise, they could become moldy and musty.
- Don’t place the items directly against the walls or floor. When the space gets damp, for whatever reason, anything on the wall and floor will become susceptible to mold and damage.
- Organize your storage unit for easy access. This means not cramming too much inside the unit.
Furniture storage does not have to be difficult and complicated. With the right knowledge, you can keep your items in perfect condition.
If you are struggling with preparing and loading your items for storage, consider leaving this task up to the pros. Hire a storage rental company that can take care of everything – from cleaning, packing and loading your items, to transporting them. With expert help, all your stored items will remain intact and damage-free.
Chris Humphrey is the General Manager of Easytruck Moving & Storage. In 2013, the company combined their expertise in professional moving services and storage to create an entirely new approach to the business – and mobile storage was born! Easytruck now operates over 30,000 sq.ft. of air-conditioned facilities in three convenient locations in Dubai and is the only Mobile Storage operator in the UAE.