Spring will be here before we know it. And with this in mind there is absolutely no doubt that many of you are already thinking about your gardens. After months of having no choice but to be cooped up indoors in order to stay warm, it isn’t really surprising that people throughout the UK look forward to getting back into their gardens so much.
If you are thinking about changing your garden in quite an extravagant way, for example if you are deciding to change the layout of your garden or get new natural stone paving, you should employ a landscape gardener who will be able to work to your brief impeccably and provide you with a garden that you will love before the peak of spring hits.
However, if you simply want to tidy up your garden, keeping the main design the same but simply making it look more beautiful, you might want to follow the following tips:
- Clean your garden out. The first thing that you need to do is clear your garden steps, removing all debris such as leaves, leftover snow etc. Remove any weeds from the roots so that they don’t grow back and go check that your garden tools are in good condition, because you are going to need them soon!
- Following winter your soil is probably dried out so you need to add moisture. You might also want to provide your soil with much needed nutrients and to use fertiliser to increase the health of the soil and increase the life of your plants.
- If you have plants in your garden than have survived winter, you need to prune them so that they can grow anew in spring. It is a good idea to do this from April onwards in case an unexpected freeze comes again.
- As well as adding fertilisers and organic materials you should consider adding mulch to your flower beds and gardens. The addition of one to three inches of mulch can help to prevent weeds and diseases from occurring. Adding much can also help to keep moisture in gardens whilst maintaining temperatures.
- Now you have tidied up your garden it is time to plant your favourite flowers and shrubs. Some of the great spring plants that we would recommend to consider growing include pansies, snapdragons, redbuds, lilacs and tulips. You may also consider creating a little vegetable patch and growing things like lettuce and tomatoes.
These are only some of the tips that you can use to get your garden tidied up for spring. Remember tidying up your garden will well be worth the efforts, so stop thinking about it, and do it!