How to Arrange Bedroom Furniture in a Rectangular Room
A rectangular room can be a little challenging when it comes to arranging furniture. The shape and the proportions can create difficulties, especially when you want to achieve a balanced and comfortable look. However, with some creativity and planning, you can make the most out of the space you have and create a functional and inviting bedroom. In this article, we will guide you through the process of arranging bedroom furniture in a rectangular room, step by step.
Step 1: Measure the Room and Furniture
Before you start arranging your bedroom furniture, you need to take accurate measurements of your room and your furniture. This will help you determine the best layout, and avoid overcrowding or under-furnishing your room. Here are the measurements you need to take:
- The length and width of the room
- The height of the ceiling
- The size of the windows and their distance from the walls
- The size of the doors and their swing direction
- The size of your bed, including the headboard and footboard (if any)
- The size of your dresser, nightstands, and any other furniture you plan to include in your room
Once you have all the measurements, you can create a scaled drawing of your room and furniture on a piece of graph paper or using a room planner app.
Step 2: Start with the Bed
The bed is the focal point of any bedroom, and it should be the first piece of furniture you place in the room. Depending on the size of your bed and your room, you have several placement options:
- Against the shorter wall: If your room is small, placing the bed against the shorter wall can create more space and make the room feel less crowded.
- Against the longer wall: If your room is large enough, placing the bed against the longer wall can create a more balanced and symmetrical look.
- In the center of the room: If you have a large and spacious room, you can place the bed in the center of the room for a dramatic and luxurious look. However, make sure you have enough space around the bed to move freely.
- Diagonally: Placing the bed diagonally can create an interesting and dynamic look, but it may not work in all rooms due to space limitations.
Make sure you leave enough space around the bed, at least 2 feet on each side, for easy movement and to allow other furniture to fit comfortably.
Step 3: Add a Dresser or Chest
Once you have placed your bed, the next furniture to consider is a dresser or chest. These will provide you with storage space for your clothes and other items. Depending on the size of your room, you can place the dresser or chest either on the same wall as the bed or on the opposite wall.
If you have a larger room, you can place the dresser or chest against the wall opposite the bed or even in a corner. This will create a balanced look and allow you to use the wall space efficiently.
If your room is smaller, you can place the dresser or chest next to the bed, creating a bedside table and maximizing the use of space. You can also opt for a smaller dresser or chest or even use a wardrobe instead of a dresser.
Step 4: Consider Your Nightstands
Nightstands are an essential part of any bedroom, providing you with a place to keep a lamp, clock, phone, and other items. Depending on the size of your room, you can place the nightstands on either side of the bed or use a single nightstand if you have limited space.
If you have a larger room, you can use larger nightstands, which will balance the proportions of your bed and make the room feel more spacious. You can also use different styles of nightstands to add interest and texture to your bedroom.
If your room is smaller, you can use smaller nightstands or even skip them altogether and use wall-mounted shelves or sconces instead.
Step 5: Place Your Rug
A rug can add warmth, texture, and color to your bedroom, and it can also help anchor your furniture. Depending on the size of your room and your furniture, you have several options for placing your rug:
- Under the bed: Placing a rug under the bed can create a cozy and inviting look, and help define the sleeping area. Make sure the rug is large enough to go beyond the edges of the bed, leaving enough space around it.
- In front of the bed: Placing a rug in front of the bed can create a soft and comfortable landing spot for your feet when you get up in the morning. Make sure the rug is at least as wide as the bed and long enough to go beyond the nightstands.
- Across the room: If you have a large room, you can use a larger rug to anchor the seating area or even the entire room. Make sure the rug is proportional to the size of the room and the furniture.
Step 6: Add Seating
If you have enough space, adding seating in your bedroom can make it more functional and versatile. You can use a bench or a pair of chairs at the foot of the bed, a chaise lounge in a corner, or a reading nook in front of a window. Make sure the seating you choose is comfortable and fits the style of your bedroom.
What is the best way to arrange furniture in a small rectangular bedroom?
When you have a small rectangular bedroom, you need to be creative in arranging your furniture to make the most out of the space. Here are some tips:
- Choose a smaller bed, such as a twin or a full, to save space.
- Place your bed against the shorter wall to create more space and make the room feel less crowded.
- Use a dresser or chest as a bedside table to save space.
- Use wall-mounted shelves or sconces instead of nightstands to save floor space.
- Use a smaller rug to define the sleeping area and make the room feel larger.
- Avoid clutter and keep the room organized to make it feel more spacious.
How can I create a cozy and luxurious look in a large rectangular bedroom?
If you have a large rectangular bedroom, you can create a cozy and luxurious look by:
- Using a king or a queen-sized bed and placing it against the longer wall to create a balanced and symmetrical look.
- Using larger nightstands, dressers, and seating to balance the proportions of your bed and fill the space.
- Placing a larger rug under the bed to create a cozy and inviting look.
- Using soft and luxurious bedding, such as silk or velvet, to add texture and warmth.
- Adding layers of lighting, such as a chandelier, sconces, and table lamps, to create a comfortable and relaxing ambiance.
Is it okay to place my bed in front of the window?
Placing your bed in front of a window can create a beautiful and airy look in your bedroom, but it may not be the best option for everyone. Here are some things to consider before placing your bed in front of the window:
- If the window is the only source of natural light in your room, you may want to avoid blocking it with your bed, as this can make the room feel dark and cramped.
- If the window faces a busy street or a noisy area, you may want to use heavy curtains or a noise-blocking screen to ensure a good night’s sleep.
- If you have a smaller room, placing your bed against the window may limit your furniture placement options and make the room feel cluttered.
- If you decide to place your bed in front of the window, make sure the headboard is high enough, and the bed is centered in the window for a balanced and symmetrical look.
Arranging furniture in a rectangular room can be a little challenging, but with some planning and creativity, you can achieve a balanced and comfortable look. Remember to measure your room and furniture, start with the bed, add storage and seating, and use rugs and lighting to create a cozy and inviting ambiance. By following these steps and considering your personal style and preferences, you can create a beautiful and functional bedroom that you’ll love spending time in.